Monday, July 28, 2008

http://blog.girlsbydesign.com

“Girls By Design: This Is A Blog” (you don’t say!) was a blog sent to me as a suggestion for future reviewing (keep those blog suggestions coming by the way, there are so many blogs, and so little time, that it’s hard to uproot the word-worthy ones), and I originally settled on not reviewing it, but then I started reading the blog’s comments, clicking links, wandering all over the world wide web to Girls By Design(or GBD as it’s often referred to as; I’ll join the club, because no need to waste typing energy) related links, ending in more research on a subject that I ever bothered to do for any school research paper (no diss to my teachers). And then I knew I had to write about it, because one, if I didn’t, my hour-eating research would be wasted on me (and I’m not generally fond of research), and two, what’s knowledge and opinions for if you don’t share them?

A little 411 to carry you through my commentary: GbD is basically a mission to empower girls (or at least that’s what I gathered over the course of things), and is founded by actress Kristin Kreuk (of Smallville fame) and her friend Kendra Voth. The latter who is completely absence from the GbD blog, the former who says something occasionally and someone named Tabby who jumped out from her behind the scenes position as tech producer, to stand in the spotlight of the blog. (If she’s responsible for the blog design though…I like it, Tabby, I like it a lot, and the color palette is right on).

So, can you measure a blog’s worth by its readers? I don’t know, really, but when I began to click the comments posted on the GbD Blog, I found a dizzying amount of praise and love. A general love fest really, which was fine (I’m a lover not a hater too), except it was seemingly off topic because how many times does “I love you Kristin!!!” need to be said in broken English? (No offense to all the foreign speaking fans… hey, you can laugh at me if I try to badly speak your language, ok?)

Side note: why is the GbD questionnaire called “Sexy 7”, and will I feel sexier for filling out those questions?

I needed to do a little more investigating of GbD, so I wound up on the GbD Facebook group. From there I learned I’m in the “target demographic” of GbD, and that I still don’t know entirely what this group is supposed to be doing. But what the members are doing is worshipping the very ground Kristin Kreuk walks on, and seemingly forget the actual subject of the group. I also discovered and was slightly disturbed by GbD a member (I’m resisting being a name dropper here), who repeatedly seems to claim ownership of GbD founders Kristin and Kendra by calling them his girls, and smothering them with sappy compliments. His profile picture, though, obviously from many years past, hints that he’s possibly well past his prime. (Ok to be fair, that doesn't necessarily mean more than a fondness of a past or low self-esteem of one's current appearence, but I’ve noticed a trend in perverts and creeps using their childhood pictures to give the illusion of innocence, just my theory).

And some Googling and some clicks later ended up on some forums called Sweet (somewhat ironically named, in regards to their members, since sugary sweetness is the antonymous of the general attitude of the community), where some of Kristin Kreuk’s most diehard fans seem to hang out. As my father used to say about me, they’re real whipper snappers, and regardless of the slightly harsh definition of “whipper snapper”, I do say it fondly. The Sweet member’s commentary and analysis of the GbD blog were highly amusing, though they sometimes left me scratching my head over apparent inside jokes that peppered forum posts.

Have you noticed how little I’ve actually said about the GbD blog? Me too. Which should give you the conclusion, that despite the fact that the GbD mission seems genuine and respectable… I have more to say about their fans than their blog, and if you’re looking to occupy yourself… just go read the fan commentaries at Sweet.

http://blog.girlsbydesign.com/

2 comments:

Research Papers Writing said...

Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.

Research Papers Writing said...

Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.